Friday, October 21, 2011

CARAMEL POPCORN


 CARAMEL POPCORN


Good day fellow bloggers.  I actually made this stuff awhile ago so it's long gone.  We were having people over and what's easier than caramel corn.  Plus I can make it the day before and store it in an ice cream bucket.  Next time I will make all fancy and do a special cover for my bucket.  I am so amazed with fellow bloggers and there abilities to fancy up the ordinary.
My first step is to gather the ingredients for the coating.  I do this in the microwave for speed, plus I hate standing over a stove to stir, stir, stir.

Caramel Corn Ingredient List
2 Cups Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Corn Syrup
1 Cup Margarine
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
10 Cups Popped Popcorn 

Spray Pam or grease a big roasting pan well. I line my pan with foil and spray Pam all over as this pan has a coating which comes off in the popcorn.   Pop the popcorn and spread in the roasting pan.



Add first 3 ingredients together in a large microwave proof bowl.  Cook on high for 2 minutes.  Remove from microwave and stir.  Cook again for one minute and remove from microwave and stir.  Do this again for one minute and remove from microwave.  The sugar should be nearly all dissolved. 

This is where the power of microwaves comes into effect.  I only have to do this (one minute step) two more times and my syrup is bubbly hot and the sugar is totally dissolved.  If yours isn't, place back in microwave and do this step in one minute increments so not to burn your mixture.    Next step is to add baking soda to mixture and stir frantically.  It should foam up like the picture below.

 Quickly pour the mixture evenly over popcorn and then stir up the corn to ensure even coverage.  Bake in the oven at 250 degrees for about 1 hour
 
You can stir this mixture every 15 minutes to ensure even coverage, sometimes I get sidetracked and forget this step.  After heating in the oven for the stated time, remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.  Bag up popcorn in an airtight bag or an ice cream bucket or any sealed container (that I will decorate all fancy and will blog about next time I make this......probably not)   until you are ready to serve.  Hope you enjoy.

Have A Good Day!
Oonga
Sisterkins

No comments:

Post a Comment